Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Static

[I'd posted this a long, long, long time ago. And it got deleted. Someone asked me to put it back up and after days of trying to dig through my word files, here it is. Hope you're happy, LD.]

First posted: 21st February, 2007.
Reposted: 15th September, 2007.

His words were so badly slurred, that I could almost smell the alcohol through the phone.
He was still the same, the one that I had spoken to nearly every weeknight for almost a year now and yet even I didn't realise till I noticed my tight clutch on the phone, how hard it was to decipher what he was saying tonight.
I asked him if he was alright, and he scoffed at me, with the easy abandon of the utterly intoxicated.
In a strange way he never seemed as real as he was when he was inebriated
He says it again.
That.
I keep quiet, enjoying the absence of sound
He laughs at me, mocking almost
"You'll never know"
Maybe
I'm happy this way, I protest
He laughs again, this time tainted with such sarcasm that even I had never put forth
To my over sensitive, yet perceptionless ears, it was cruel
I sighed
What now, I ask
You know, he mumbles
I think, my thoughts mingling with fury at him
He's drunk, I tell myself
Doesn't know what he's talking
A small voice at the back of my head interferes - But he didn't say anything
Argh.
I know how I'm supposed to feel, I say, my confused thoughts spilling out of my mouth
But is this really what I've been looking for?
No, he slurs. What you're looking for is way over here on the other side of the world
I sigh again
He bursts into song, with all the warning of a raindrop in a tempest
An old Ray Charles number, I think, I can't tell..
His drunken stupour is reaching it's peak
Suddenly the hoarse singing stops.
You know something, he asks, his voice normal although his words are sloppy
I shake my head, forgetting he cannot see me
Or maybe he can, in some strange way because..
"Re arrange. It's all there."
And with that he hangs up
Leaving me hanging on his words, waiting for something more
Some explanation?
Nothing comes
I'm left with the dialtone buzzing in my ear
And my own mangled thoughts eating me up inside

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home